News - Announcements - Media Releases
- Women Running in 74% of PEI Districts
- We are pleased that 74% of districts will have the option to vote for a woman in PEI provincial election 2015.
- Video: Leaders' Forum on Women's Issues
- The leaders of all four provincial parties on PEI have come together for a forum on Women's Issues, presented by the PEI Coalition for Women in Government, and the Holland College Student Union.
- Coalition and Student Union Host Leaders' Forum on Women's Issues
- The Prince Edward Island Coalition for Women in Government and Holland College Student Union have partnered to hold a leaders' forum on women's issues this April.
- PEI Coalition for Women in Government Annual New Year's Levee
- *** New date: Wednesday January 28, 2015 ***
- Coalition Calls for Reinstatement of Award Named for Feminist Leader
- The Prince Edward Island Coalition for Women in Government is calling on the federal government to reinstate the Therese Casgrain Volunteer Award that was replaced in 2010 with the Prime Minister's Volunteer Award.
- Catherine Callbeck's Retirement
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government believes, as Marian Wright Edelman once said, "You can't be what you can't see." We were thrilled to attend the open house in honour of Catherine Callbeck's birthday and retirement from the Senate on Friday July 25. As an organization dedicated to increasing the opportunities for women to be elected to government, we were pleased to join over a thousand Islanders in recognizing the Honourable Catherine Callbeck's truly remarkable career.
- Annual Hilda Ramsay Fundraising Dinner
- Guest speaker for the event will be author and journalist Linda McQuaig, who announced in 2013 that she would be the NDP candidate in the federal riding of Toronto Centre.
PEI in 2013
- 29.8% of municipal councillors are women
- 25% of MPs are women
- 22.2% of MLAs are women
- 50% of Lennox Island First Nation Band Council are women (no women are members of the Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
- 50% of appointed senators are women
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (May 28, 2013):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|1||British Columbia||35.7% (30/84)|
|2||Province of Quebec||32.8% (41/125)|
|6||Nova Scotia||23.1% (12/52)|
|8||Prince Edward Island||22.2% (6/27)|
|10||Newfoundland and Labrador||16.7% (8/48)|
|12||New Brunswick||14.6% (8/55)|
|13||Northwest Territories||10.5% (2/19)|
* Ontario has two vacancies, and Manitoba one vacancy. Percentage includes filled seats only.
Up for Debate
We support the Up for Debate Campaign calling for all federal political parties to make meaningful commitments to change women's lives for the better. Check out the campaign here and consider signing up.
Getting to the Gate
Getting to the Gate is an online women's campaign school developed by Equal Voice, a Canadian organization focused on getting more women elected. Check it out!