News - Announcements - Media Releases
- Percentage of Women in PEI Cabinet Among Lowest in the Country
- The current cabinet includes just one woman among nine cabinet positions (11%).
- Percentage of Women in PEI Legislature Down
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government disappointed to see a decrease in the number of women elected to the legislature.
- Women Running in 74% of PEI Districts
- We are pleased that 74% of districts will have the option to vote for a woman in PEI provincial election 2015.
- Video: Leaders' Forum on Women's Issues
- The leaders of all four provincial parties on PEI have come together for a forum on Women's Issues, presented by the PEI Coalition for Women in Government, and the Holland College Student Union.
- Coalition and Student Union Host Leaders' Forum on Women's Issues
- The Prince Edward Island Coalition for Women in Government and Holland College Student Union have partnered to hold a leaders' forum on women's issues this April.
- PEI Coalition for Women in Government Annual New Year's Levee
- *** New date: Wednesday January 28, 2015 ***
- Coalition Calls for Reinstatement of Award Named for Feminist Leader
- The Prince Edward Island Coalition for Women in Government is calling on the federal government to reinstate the Therese Casgrain Volunteer Award that was replaced in 2010 with the Prime Minister's Volunteer Award.
PEI in 2015
- 25% of MPs are women
- 18.5% of MLAs are women
- 50% of Lennox Island First Nation Band Council are women (no women are members of the Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
- 50% of appointed senators are women
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (May 15, 2015):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|1||British Columbia||36.4% (31/85)|
|6||Nova Scotia||27.4% (14/51)|
|7||Province of Quebec||27% (34/125)|
|9||Prince Edward Island||18.5% (5/27)|
|10||New Brunswick||16.3% (8/49)|
|12||Newfoundland and Labrador||12.5% (6/48)|
|13||Northwest Territories||10.5% (2/19)|
Up for Debate
We support the Up for Debate Campaign calling for all federal political parties to make meaningful commitments to change women's lives for the better. Check out the campaign here and consider signing up.
Getting to the Gate
Getting to the Gate is an online women's campaign school developed by Equal Voice, a Canadian organization focused on getting more women elected. Check it out!