News - Announcements - Media Releases
- Annual Hilda Ramsay Fundraising Dinner
- Guest speaker for the event will be author and journalist Linda McQuaig, who announced in 2013 that she would be the NDP candidate in the federal riding of Toronto Centre.
- Pour diffusion immédiate / For Immediate Release
- La « PEI Coalition for Women in Government » encourage les femmes à présenter leur candidature aux élections de la Commission scolaire de langue française --- Coalition encourages women to seek nomination for French Language School Board elections
- Join Us for A Bold Announcement
- After receiving hundreds of nominations from across Canada, the 23 bold Canadian visionaries selected to come together on Prince Edward Island this September will be unveiled.
- Changes needed to make public office sustainable for women
- Letter to the Editor
- Federal Liberal Women’s Campaign School
- Thinking of Running for the Liberals in 2015? If yes - this workshop is for you - this August in PEI. Space is limited so sign up soon.
- PEI Coalition for Women in Government Welcomes New ED
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government is ecstatic to announce we've hired a part-time Executive Director. After interviewing so many amazing candidates, we welcome Dawn Wilson to the role.
- Resignation of Olive Crane
- Letter to the Editor
PEI in 2013
- 29.8% of municipal councillors are women
- 25% of MPs are women
- 22.2% of MLAs are women
- 50% of Lennox Island First Nation Band Council are women (no women are members of the Abegweit First Nations Band Council)
- 50% of appointed senators are women
How Does PEI Compare?
Percentage of women in provincial, territorial and national legislatures (May 28, 2013):
|Rank||Jurisdiction||% of Women in Legislature|
|1||British Columbia||35.7% (30/84)|
|2||Province of Quebec||32.8% (41/125)|
|6||Nova Scotia||23.1% (12/52)|
|8||Prince Edward Island||22.2% (6/27)|
|10||Newfoundland and Labrador||16.7% (8/48)|
|12||New Brunswick||14.6% (8/55)|
|13||Northwest Territories||10.5% (2/19)|
* Ontario has two vacancies, and Manitoba one vacancy. Percentage includes filled seats only.
Women's Campaign Skills
As part of the project titled Supporting Democratic Participation of PEI's Women and Girls, the PEI Coalition for Women in Government is providing a series of skills-building workshops for women interested in running for elected office in the period from 2010 to 2013. More information >>
Getting to the Gate
Getting to the Gate is an online women's campaign school developed by Equal Voice, a Canadian organization focused on getting more women elected. Check it out!